[Drama Review #24] - You're Beautiful 미남이시네요 原來是美男啊


The twenty-fourth drama is You're Beautiful 미남이시네요. I decided to watch this drama because Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa was reuniting for another drama called You've Fallen For Me. In order to really grasp their acting chemistry together, I needed to watch You're Beautiful first. The last time I saw Park Shin Hye act was her role in Stairway to Heaven as the young Jungsuh. Jung Yong Hwa is the lead singer and guitarist for C.N. Blue and made his acting debut in You're Beautiful. Aside from being a fan of both Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa, I had heard that You're Beautiful received positive reviews. With that, I had enough reasons to check this drama out.

Go Minyeo (Park Shin Hye) is set to be a nun and about to take a trip to Rome. One day she meets a mysterious man who introduces himself as the manager of the famous idol group A.N.JELL. He tells Minyeo that her twin brother, Minam, is the new member to A.N.JELL. Minam is being added to the group because Hwang Taekyung (Jang Geun Suk), the lead vocal's voice was hurting. However, Mi Nam needs to return to the U.S. for corrective surgery for one month in order to fix a botched eyelid surgery. The manager asks Minyeo for a favor, to take Minam's place and pretend to be Minam until he returns. Although Minyeo initially refuses, she decides to take his place. Minyeo remembers growing up in an orphanage with her twin brother and his dream of becoming a famous singer in order to make it easier to look for their mother. Her disguise is put to the test when Taekyung finds out about her true identity. When Taekyung decides to keep her secret, he finds himself slowly falling for Minyeo. The other member Kang Shinwoo (Jung Yong Hwa) also finds out, but doesn't tell her, instead choosing to protect her from afar. The last member, Jeremy (Lee Hong Ki) doesn't know and is repeatedly confused with his groupmates' actions. Minyeo becomes increasingly unsure of what to do when she realizes she also has feelings for Taekyung.

Being of a fan of C.N. Blue and F.T. Island meant that I already knew about Jung Yong Hwa and Lee Hong Ki's musical talents. It was a pleasant surprise when I found out Jang Geun Suk was able to sing well. So when I saw the scene where A.N.JELL gave it's first performance as a four membered group, I realized that it wasn't just a gimmick. A.N.JELL could actually pull off being a legit music group. Based on comments I've seen in forums, other fans can agree to this statement as well. The most interesting thing I found about watching You're Beautiful was seeing Park Shin Hye posing as a boy. As a fan, I'm well aware of how beautiful she looks. However, there's scenes where you nearly forget how feminine she looks because she's disguised as a boy for the majority of the drama. Of course, the drama doesn't let that go easily and thus, incorporates various scenes where she dresses up prettily. Funny enough, I had the same expression as both Taekyung and Shinwoo when they see Minyeo. I liked how the writers decide to give each A.N.JELL member a different level of awareness of Minyeo's identity. Taekyung, Shinwoo and Jeremy end up responding to Minyeo's opinions and actions in a unique way. Similarly, the love story follows differently because of how much Minyeo knows about their knowing that she is not the real Minam. Lastly, some credit should go to UEE for her convincing role of the actress Yoo Heyi. She really sold the role of an actress who is an angel in the eyes of the public, but quite arrogant elsewhere. I do feel a little bad for UEE because of her role, fans misunderstood her real personality as the character's personality. Thus, she received a lot unnecessary hate.

Given the plot of You're Beautiful, it seemed obvious that this drama would feature very good songs. There are several versions for each of the songs on the soundtrack. "Promise 약속" and "Still 여전히" are both songs which I prefer the A.N.JELL version. "Lovely Day" and "Without Words 말도 없이" are two good songs that are both sung by Park Shin Hye. Lastly, "What Should I Do 어떡하죠" is best sung by Jang Geun Suk. This was the song that Taekyung's mother wanted him to remake.

Having seen Boys over Flowers, I actually didn't expect to enjoy this drama. I knew that You're Beautiful was very popular among girls because of pretty boys such Jang Geun Suk, Jung Yong Hwa and Lee Hong Ki. However, I felt I made a good decision by watching this drama after Dream High. Dream High was about students who aimed to fulfill their dreams as singers. With You're Beautiful, I got to see glimpses of the life of an idol. Fans swarmed their favorite idols and to some degree, it hinders the idol's personal life. The media constantly watch over in hopes of catching a scandal. The best example was the news reporter who went to great lengths to confirm his suspicions about Go Minam. Despite having some initial doubt that I would enjoy it, I was surprised how much I enjoyed watching this drama and I would recommend watching You're Beautiful.