[Drama Review #23] - My Princess 마이 프린세스 我的公主


The twenty-third drama is My Princess 마이 프린세스. Including My Princess, I now have proudly watched five of Kim Tae Hee's works. I've really enjoyed all her previous dramas and was looking forward to watching My Princess. The other main female lead is Park Ye Jin, who was also a main cast member of the first season of the variety show Family Outing. Later, I found out that Lee Ki Kwang from the popular idol group Beast was also acting in My Princess.

My Princess revolves around the story of Lee Seol (Kim Tae Hee) who is an ordinary college student. She works at several odd jobs in hopes of earning enough money to pay for a trip to Egypt and win the love of her Archaeology professor, Nam Jungwoo (Ryu Soo Young). Park Haeyoung (Song Seung Hun) is from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade as well as the grandson to the president of the Daehan Group. The goal of the Daehan Group is to restore the Imperial Family. During their investigation, they finally find the rightful heir to the throne, Seol. When Seol finds out she's actually a princess, her life is changed completely. Haeyoung becomes in charge of taking care of her and teaching her the mannerisms required of royalty. However, if Korea acknowledges Seol as the princess and the monarchy is restored, Haeyoung's inheritance will be given away to Seol. Thus, Haeyoung tries to prevent the restoration of the royal family. However, the solution to this problem would be very simple, if not for Haeyoung's feelings for Seol.

As much as I enjoy watching Kim Tae Hee act in dramas, I felt My Princess wasn't the best drama for her to be in. As youthful as she still looks, it's impossible to deny that Kim Tae Hee is probably too old to be playing such young roles such as a college student or a princess either. Don't get me wrong though. I felt she did a good job in My Princess, but to really capture the emotions of a young girl adjusting to the royal life, I think another younger actress would be a better choice. On the other hand, I felt Park Ye Jin was perfect for her role. With a really short hairstyle, she really fit the character Oh Yoonjoo, who is very business-like as the head curator of the Hae Young Museum. It's very easy to misunderstand and be unable to differentiate her character's personality and her actual personality in real life. I watched several episodes of Family Outing after watching My Princess and have found her to be a really nice and unpretentious.

The soundtrack for My Princess is not particularly impressive. One song that I liked was "Kasio" by Taru. The song is a midtempo pop song with light vocals. Another good song is Lee Sang Eun's "Falling", which was the ending theme of each episode.

The concept of an ordinary girl who finds out she's a princess and falls in love with a rich guy who initially does not want her to accept becoming a princess isn't a unique storyline. I couldn't help but draw comparisons between My Princess and a similar drama I watched, Goong. Since I've already seen the storyline, everything seemed fairly predictable and uninteresting. I would understand how others would still enjoy this drama regardless, particularly young girls. Still, I recommend watching My Princess. The overall drama is well produced and the actors and actresses are top notch. However, the storyline may not interest guys at all and should probably look elsewhere for a good drama.