[Last Chance] - Episode 9 제9회 第九集

Eunjoo noticed the mild confusion among the students in charge of the performance. She walked to up to one of the student organizers to find out what happened.

"Han Siyeon is unable to perform because she hurt her ankle earlier."

Eunjoo was surprised, since she knew how much effort Siyeon put into practice. Nevertheless, Eunjoo needed to prepare for her own performance. As she left, Eunjoo overheard the student organizers continue to talk among themselves.

"It's too bad about Siyeon's injury. Is she going to be okay?"

"I hope so. I saw Park Joonhyuk carrying her to take Siyeon to the hospital."

Eunjoo froze in her steps. "Why is oppa taking Siyeon to the hospital?" She was not sure what Joonhyuk was thinking since Siyeon rejected him. Eunjoo felt someone's hand on her shoulder. She turned around and saw Jungmin.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

Eunjoo shook her head. "Oh I'm fine. Just a little worried."

"Siyeon's going to be fine. Joonhyuk's taking her to the hospital." reassured Jungmin. "C'mon, you should be preparing for your performance." ushering her out with a bright smile.

"That's not what I'm worried about..."

As the school performance continued, Eunjoo's turn arrived. She walked up onto the stage and looked out to the crowd. Eunjoo thought that Joonhyuk would be there to hear her sing. Still, even if he wasn't there, she hoped he could hear her.

"♫ You were the star to shine on me at that place, The sunshine which embraced me with warmth, You did that, we were always together, This can't be true, don't leave me ♫"

"♫ Don't wake me up from the sweet dream, Keep taking me into the arms of love ♫"

At the end of the song, a wave of students stood up and clapped. Eunjoo smiled, a little misty eyed. After she left the stage, Eunjoo bumped into Jungmin whom was carrying a bouquet of flowers.

"Congratulations! That was amazing. I didn't know you could sing so well." Jungmin complimented. "It was Rainbow's Sweet Dream right?"

Eunjoo was surprised, but at the same time very happy. Jungmin had been there to see her sing from start to finish. Unlike Joonhyuk, Jungmin kept his promises. Without even realizing it, Eunjoo gave Jungmin a quick hug. Jungmin was quite satisfied with her reaction and asked Eunjoo if she wanted to go to a cafe for a drink. Eunjoo agreed and left to go to Blue Sky Cafe, not realizing Joonhyuk was standing several feet away with a flower clutched in his hand.

A couple days later, Joonhyuk wandered around the schoolyard. He had not seen Eunjoo since the school performance. Joonhyuk felt he needed to talk to Eunjoo soon since he failed to keep his promise of watching her sing. Of course, he also wanted to know what was going on between Eunjoo and Jungmin. Joonhyuk suddenly saw Eunjoo coming down the stairs and raced towards her.

"Hey, Eunjoo. Can we talk for a minute?"

She nodded, "Hm, sure. What do you want to talk about?"

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry that didn't see you perform. Something came up but in the end, I technically didn't keep my promise to you."

"It's fine. I heard about it, is Siyeon okay?"

"Yeah she'll be okay. So anyway, are you free later tonight? I want to take you out for food." offered Joonhyuk.

"No, I'm not free. I'm going out to dinner with Jungmin tonight."

Joonhyuk tried to hide his disappointment, "How about this weekend?"

Eunjoo frowned. "Oppa, stop it. I'm busy. I'm spending weekend with Jungmin." She then walked away, clearly annoyed at Joonhyuk.

"Man...I really messed up. I don't remember Eunjoo being that mad at me since we were little." thought Joonhyuk.

The weekend eventually came. Joonhyuk woke up to a brisk winter morning. When he remembered that Eunjoo was out with Jungmin today, Joonhyuk became mildly irritated. He suddenly heard his ringtone signaling an incoming text message. It was Siyeon, asking him if he'd like to go to the local ice skating rink. Joonhyuk's emotions got the best of him and he immediately replied saying that he would be there. A short while later, Joonhyuk arrived at the ice skating rink.

"Joonhyuk-ssi." called out Siyeon.

Joonhyuk turned around and saw Siyeon by the entrance. After he saw Siyeon, Joonhyuk realized that Siyeon hurt her ankle previously and was not in any condition to ice skate.

"Siyeon-ssi. You sprained your ankle recently. Why would you want to come to the ice skating rink?" asked Joonhyuk, confused.

"Well, I usually like to come and watch people ice skate." answered Siyeon. "I actually don't know how to ice skate but I enjoy watching others ice skate. Haha, I think it's actually kind of romantic. Maybe some guy would teach me how to skate someday."

"Oh, I see." Joonhyuk wasn't sure how else to reply. Awhile back, he wanted to be that guy very much. But he knew he already lost his chance. He thought, "Is Siyeon trying to hint something?" He immediately shook his head, firmly convincing himself not to jump to any conclusions. When he shook his head, he caught a glance of two familiar people inside the rink. To his surprise and disappointment, it was Jungmin and Eunjoo.

"Guess that answers the question of what Eunjoo was doing this weekend..." Joonhyuk thought bitterly.

Jungmin noticed Joonhyuk and Siyeon by the edge of the rink. He motioned to Eunjoo and skated towards Joonhyuk and Siyeon.

"Hey! What are you guys doing here?" greeted Jungmin.

"Oh nothing really. I called out Joonhyuk to hang out this weekend and I wanted to come to the ice skating rink." replied Siyeon.

"Oh I see. Speaking of which, how's your ankle?"

"It's fine, it's healing surprisingly quickly. The doctor says it should be completely healed in another week or two."

"That's good to know. Well, we should get back to skating. Eunjoo-ssi, let's go." said Jungmin, motioning to Eunjoo.

During the whole conversation between Siyeon and Jungmin, Eunjoo and Joonhyuk avoided making eye contact. Clearly the situation between both Eunjoo and Joonhyuk earlier did not completely resolve itself. After Eunjoo and Jungmin left, Joonhyuk started to move away from the skating rink. Seeing him, Siyeon walked away with him.

"Is something wrong?" asked Siyeon.

"No, nothing." snapped Joonhyuk. He didn't want Siyeon to know how he was feeling, but he wasn't doing a good job of hiding it. Next thing he knew, he asked her "Why did you ask me to come to the skating rink? If you wanted to watch other people skate, you didn't have to call me to accompany you."

"Well, we said we would try and be friends again. Isn't this something we used to do as friends?"

Joonhyuk had to admit that she was right. Regardless, he didn't respond. Joonhyuk's mind was still focused on Eunjoo and Jungmin. He couldn't figure out if he was jealous of their new relationship, something he couldn't have with Siyeon. Perhaps it was jealous of Jungmin who was new to Shinra High and without any effort had everything any guy ever wanted. Or was it that Eunjoo meant more to Joonhyuk than just a little sister?

"Actually, I overheard Jungmin asking Eunjoo out to go ice skating today and I wanted to see something. Also, there was one other thing that I wanted to talk to you about."

Joonhyuk broke out of his thoughts. "Oh, what is it then?"

"It may not be the right thing to do or say, but I need to say it. Joonhyuk-ssi, I like you."