[Last Chance] - Episode 10 제10회 第十集

"Joonhyuk-ssi, I like you."

Joonhyuk spun around, dumbfounded. "What did you just say?"

"Do you really need me to say it again? I like you." responded Siyeon. "I decided I changed my mind."

He was still very confused and continued to ask Siyeon questions. "Why? I thought the reason you didn't want to be with me was because you were interested in Jungmin."

"I just noticed you've always been around to take care of me, especially when I hurt my ankle before the school performance." said Siyeon. "I guess I realized I miss being around you. Besides, Jungmin is interested in Eunjoo, not me."

Joonhyuk began to feel increasingly angry. "So, do you mean you're settling for me because you can't be with Jungmin?"

"I don't mean it like that..."

"No." Joonhyuk interrupted her. "It wasn't easy for me to finally get over you. In fact, it took me a long time. Now that you changed your mind, you think I will come crawling back to you that easily? Siyeon, I have a lot more self-pride than that." With his last word, Joonhyuk turned to leave. He only took two steps before Siyeon spoke out.

"It's because you like Eunjoo right?" Hearing Eunjoo's name, Joonhyuk stood still. Siyeon walked up to him with a fierce look on her face. "You think you can change Eunjoo's mind? Joonhyuk, you missed your chance too. So tell me, how are you any different than I am for wanting a second chance?"

Joonhyuk remained quiet, unable to answer Siyeon. He moved past her and walked away. Joonhyuk didn't want to admit it to her face, but Siyeon's words may have been true.

Two days later at school, Joonhyuk arrived early to look for Eunjoo. Joonhyuk knew he was going to go nowhere if he and Eunjoo continued their recent silence. Just as he turned around the corner towards Eunjoo's locker, he bumped into Jungmin.

"Hey, Joonhyuk!" called out Jungmin, walking towards Joonhyuk. "I had a question I wanted to ask you." Joonhyuk was a little reluctant to talk to Jungmin, but decided to hear him out.

"Eunjoo's birthday is coming up and I wanted to surprise her with a party. I was thinking about going to the noraebang right outside Cloud Nine Shopping Mall." Jungmin explained. "Can you come?"

Joonhyuk came to the conclusion that he would have to attend. Going to Eunjoo's surprise birthday party would mean he would at least have one more chance to talk to Eunjoo.

"Yeah, sure. Of course I'd come to."

Jungmin grinned, "Cool, I'll call you later with details."

"Sure then. Well, I've got something to take care of, I'll see you later." said Joonhyuk, walking away from Jungmin.

Jungmin nodded and walked in the opposite direction. As Jungmin was walking down the stairs, he saw Siyeon walk up the stairs.

"Hey Siyeon-ssi. Next week is Eunjoo's birthday and I was thinking of having a surprise party for her. Would you be able to attend?" Before she could reject his invitation, Jungmin added, "Joonhyuk and the others will be there too." Without further hesitation, Siyeon agreed to come to the party.

A week later, Joonhyuk, Taebyun, Haewon, Sunghee and some of Eunjoo's other friends were at noraebang preparing the party.

"So when is Eunjoo arriving?" asked Taebyun.

"She's on a date with Jungmin right now. He said he was going to bring her here and surprise her." answered Haewon.

"Eunjoo's so lucky." commented Sunghee. "Jungmin treats her so well."

Taebyun laughed, "For a girl as pretty and nice as Eunjoo, this is the least a guy should do for her birthday. Right Joonhyuk?" Taebyun jabbed Joonhyuk with his elbow.

"Yeah, definitely." agreed Joonhyuk, hiding his bitter tone. He knew that Taebyun's words were exactly the reason why Joonhyuk needed to win back Eunjoo. Joonhyuk was determined to do that today.

Not too long afterwards, Joonhyuk received a text message from Jungmin, alerting him that Eunjoo and Jungmin were arriving. Joonhyuk told everyone to get ready. Five minutes later, Eunjoo opened the door.

"SURPRISE!"

"Oh my goodness." Eunjoo smiled brightly. "Hi everyone!" She turned towards Jungmin, "Did you plan this?"

"Haha, guess you caught me." said Jungmin. "Are you surprised?"

Eunjoo laughed, "Of course. Thank you Jungmin oppa."

While Eunjoo walked around greeting her friends, Jungmin looked for Joonhyuk to talk to him.

"Hey, thanks for helping me out man." said Jungmin.

"Sure, it was no problem. Eunjoo and I have been friends for years. Anything for her." replied Joonhyuk.

"I know, she's told me all about it. I need to use the restroom for a minute. I'll see you later then? Let's sing a song together later, okay?"

After Jungmin left, Joonhyuk looked for Eunjoo to wish her a happy birthday. As Joonhyuk searched, several more guests came in. To Joonhyuk's surprise, Siyeon was one of them. Siyeon was the last person he wanted to see right now but just when Joonhyuk saw Eunjoo, everyone else was urging Eunjoo to start singing. Joonhyuk decided he would just talk to her later, so he sat down and listened to everyone else singing. He watched as everyone wanted Eunjoo and Jungmin to sing duets. It didn't take too long before Joonhyuk could no longer take the pressure and went outside to take a walk.

Several songs later, Jungmin suggested they take out the cake. Jungmin helped light all the candles. They all sang "Happy Birthday" while Eunjoo blew out the candles. Jungmin helped Eunjoo cut the cake into slices for everyone.

"Wow, this cake is delicious!" exclaimed Eunjoo. "This has to be the best tasting cake I've ever had. Who bought the cake?"

Jungmin admitted, "It was actually Joonhyuk who bought the cake. I had chosen another cake but Joonhyuk told me that the cake I picked had peanuts in it and you were allergic to peanuts. So he told me he would pick out the cake."

"Joonhyuk remembered Eunjoo likes having fruit on her cake." commented Sunghee.

Taebyun looked around the room, "Speaking of which, where is Joonhyuk?"

Eunjoo put her plate down on the table, "I'll go find him. Don't worry, I'll be right back."

Eunjoo walked outside and found Joonhyuk sitting at the curb and staring up at the night sky. As Eunjoo came close to him, Joonhyuk turned around and saw her.

"Thanks for picking out the cake oppa. It looks just like the one you bought me for my eleventh birthday."

"Oh yeah. Sure no problem." said Joonhyuk. "I actually thought Jungmin would know that you had a food allergy before he tried to buy a cake for you."

"Heh, I guess you still remember what happened on my tenth birthday."

"Yeah, I would never forget that day. You had an allergic reaction to the peanuts in the cake and I carried you all the way to the emergency room."

"Hmm, I nearly forgotten that part. Thanks for always watching out for me oppa." smiled Eunjoo.

"So, where's my birthday present?" she joked.

Joonhyuk stood up and looked at Eunjoo. "Eunjoo-ah, there's something I wanted to tell you. I know it's not the right thing to do or say but I needed you to know. Recently, I realized I've really liked you. I've never thought about it before because I've always taken care of you since we were young. Eunjoo-ah, Jungmin seems to really care about you. I know it's not fair to Jungmin but I really needed you to tell you this."

"Oppa..."

"I should go now. Oh, I forgot to give you a present."

Joonhyuk leaned forward and kissed Eunjoo on the lips. A moment later, he pulled away and looked at Eunjoo's surprised expression.

"Happy birthday."